That didn't make much sense, let me rephrase: He knows he is egotistical as fuck. He's fully aware of the negative image his has cultivated from his ego as well as he is fully ware that his ego is what can make him so great. Only a man with a giant ego, who is so far off the grid yet still somehow in the mainstream, could come up with some of the lyrics he does.
My prime example, and what inspired me to write this, was a line off of "Power" that glorifies drunk driving:
How's Ye doin'? I'm survivingI love this line because it makes drunk driving, which is a cultural abomination, seem so cool. My biggest fear in life is getting a DUI, yet I fucking love this line. This is also the reason I like Kanye West, only he could pull lines off like this. I think his ego has a lot do with it.
I was drinkin' earlier, now I'm driving
I wanted to go through a few more of Ye's best lines, and invite you to comment and tell me your favorite.
Restraining order, can’t see my daughterThis line(s) flow great, it's funny, and there is a reference to a now-defunct book store chain. I mostly love how there is a particular order to this unnamed woman's family's hate for Kanye.
Her mother, brother, grandmother hate me in that order
Public visitation, we met at Borders
Told her she take me back, I’ll be more supportive
Fresh air rolling down your windowI don't care if it makes no sense, a Family Matters reference will always win out.
Too many Urkles on your team that's why you Winslow
I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklaceKanye's always touching on his higher ambitions being overshadowed by his greed and need of material objects, never did he convey it better than this line.
Speaking of his need for material objects, this is just a great verse from "All Falls Down":
Man I promise, I'm so self conscious
That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches
Rollies and Pasha's done drove me crazy
I can't even pronounce nothing, pass that versace!
Then I spent 400 bucks on this
Just to be like nigga you ain't up on this!
And I can't even go to the grocery store
Without some ones thats clean and a shirt with a team
It seems we living the american dream
But the people highest up got the lowest self esteem
The prettiest people do the ugliest things
For the road to riches and diamond rings
We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us
We trying to buy back our 40 acres
And for that paper, look how low we a'stoop
Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coop/coupe
This verse touches on so much, which is why I included the whole thing. First off, he's clearly aware of his need of material items. He then proceeds to comment on how having money and material items isn't actually the "American Dream." He finishes the verse by stating that no matter how much wealth he has, he is still black. Powerful stuff here.
My favorite girl wanna leave me just because I got a girlfriendFirst time I ever heard Kanye. This was before he was famous, before College Dropout. Perfect display about how crazy girls can be ... and how crazy Kanye can be. Of course his best line from that song was:
my freak girl told me "now, she a christian"
my white girl wanna move back to Michigan
I'm pullin girls off the bench like a sixth man
Don't know what's better – getting laid or getting paidA conundrum for the ages, no doubt
I just know when I'm getting one the other's getting away.
All my people’s that drug dealing just to get byAwesome wordplay, and it kind of makes me want to be a drug dealer.
stack your money till it get sky high
we wasn’t ‘posed make it passed 25
jokes on you we still alive
I’m like a fly Malcolm XYeah, that's just a really fucking cool line.
Buy any jeans necessary
Still, the most poingint thing Kanye ever sang was probably in his most popular song:
No one man should have all that powerHe was clearly talking about himself.
Just for fun, Kanye's biggest miss is:
I treat the cash the way the government treats AIDSUnnecessary "get it" at the end. Yes, it helps the flow of his song "Gorgeous" but I think it would have been much better to let the listener come to the conclusion instead of forcing it upon them.
I won't be satisfied til all my niggas get it, get it?
Complete lyrics: http://www.directlyrics.com/kanye-west-all-of-the-lights-lyrics.html
No comments:
Post a Comment